Saturday, February 9, 2013

A HANDWRITTEN letter! from last week ;-) and PICS!!

Hermanas Amendola and Harris









Like I sort of said in my email (but ran out of time), I'm in a singing trio with my companion and another Hermana in our district, Hermana Lunt. (No, she looks nothing and sounds nothing like Mr Lunt in Veggie Tales). We've been singing Joseph Smith's First Vision to the tune of Homeward Bound. My voice isn't as trained as theirs,and they're both all vibrato-y and stuff, so I still don't know why I'm singing with them, but apparently it's okay. We sang it in Sacrament meeting on Sunday. It was pretty awesome.

We actually tried out to sing in a large group meeting, but Sister Nally, the lady in charge, has perfect pitch and didn't like the fact that we were accapella. She told us to get a piano. So we needed to find someone who could play with us... by ear... cuz we made up the harmonies & had no sheet music. We were really blessed, though. We literally ran into Elder Mercado minutes after they told us he might be able to help us. He & his companion, Elder Lamb, have been so awesome. Working with our branch presidency's 2nd counselor, we actually now have sheet music, and it all is just super cool. It's truly a miracle. The lady (Sister Nally) will be sending us a note in the mail if she wants us to try out. So, we'll see.

We had a pretty cool experience at TRC (Training Resource Center”) this week and last week. At TRC we teach volunteers. Last week, we taught a 22 to 28 year old named Benjamin. He served in Bolivia, and three days after he entered the MTC, his mom died. I could not even imagine. So I'm so grateful for my experience so far. I sure love you!!!!!

This week, we taught Santiago. He lived in Wyoming, but now he lives in Provo, obviously. He's in his 50's or 60's, and he works as a book repairman in the BYU library. He is not married. He's a super cool guy. He talked a bit about how the desire of his heart was to see the Lord, face to face, in this life, like Nephi, the brother of Jared, etc. While we were discussing things, the Spirit was super strong. I loved it. Absolutely an incredible experience.

On Sunday, my companion and I went early to Music and the Spoken Word and thus were asked to give the prayers for Relief Society, with all the sisters, including Sister Burton, the General Relief Society President. So that was the beginning of my Sunday. Then we read more scriptures, prepared our talks, went to lunch, worked on talks some more, had district lesson, and then went to Sacrament Meeting. In Sacrament we sang our song, & that was crazy. It was really cool but terrifying. After that, we practiced our song with Elder Mercado playing the piano. We went to dinner and then had choir practice, and that was super cool too.

The devotional we had after choir was amazing. I believe the speaker's name is Richard I Heaton. He taught the difference between success and success. By which I mean he taught that there are two kinds : the 1st means people accept your invitation to come unto Christ. The 2nd means that your efforts are acceptable to the Lord. The 1st is a gift. We can only work with all of our efforts & desire their eternal welfare with all of our hearts, with a complete understanding that all of our efforts can bring no “success” of the 1st variety. If we do this, we will have success – but only the 2nd kind.

The 1st kind is not in our power to bring about. I need to remember to recognize that success #1, whether I get it or not, does not change #2. It was a good devo. Anyways, then we watched the Joseph Smith movie, again. For the 3rd time here. XD. It always brings me to tears. The sacrifices of those early Saints. I just can't even imagine. I know that soon I will be out there, in the world, with people who will reject us, & persecute us, for His name's sake. 3 Ne 12:10-12 gives hope. I hope & pray that I can submit patiently to all the will of the Father. I'll be looking to the examples of the pioneers. It's going to be exciting & scary & I'm excited to get out there. Thanks for all you have done to prepare me for this. I'm grateful for the way I have been raised & for the experiences I've had growing up. Thank you, thank you, thank you! <3<3<3

Love & Prayers, Hermana Harris




No comments:

Post a Comment