Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Lift up your heart and SING! Week 9


So this is my last Tuesday in the MTC!! Next Tuesday I'll be out of here! We got our new schedule for the next week. Wednesday we're off to Temple Square, where we will be a guest, to see what we like and what we don't like about how tours are given, so we can do better ourselves. It will be quite exciting! We met our new teacher. She's super awesome. She said something interesting to me. She asked us what we're worried about. I said I was worried because I'm not super outgoing. I tend to be shy. I said I want to work on that. She said to not worry so much about it. She said to try to be the best me that I can be, but that the Lord needs Sister Harris, not Sister Harris trying to be somebody else. That really touched me, and helped me realize I'm not supposed to become this cookie-cutter missionary. The Lord just wants me to be the best Hermana Julia Nicole Harris from Tucson, AZ that I can be. If that means opening up more, then so be it, but I don't have to try to be someone I'm not. :)

Speaking of opening up more. Ahem. So you know how my companion got me to sing with her and another Hermana in our Zone? Well, we tried out the first time acappella, and Sister Nally said she couldn't use us, but she encouraged us to find an accompanist. So...we did. We were miraculously able to literally run into someone who had the talent and the desire to help us arrange a piano part for the song. One miracle after another, we were able to get it all together. We re-tried out, and Sister Nally said we did really well, and said she'd let us know when she wants to use us. So on Friday, we got a note from her in our mail, telling us that we would be singing on Sunday at Mission Conference! That's in front of the entire MTC. EVERYONE. >_> Umm.

So... on Sunday I sang in a trio in front of thousands of missionaries. That was definitely a new experience for me. I prayed and prayed and prayed and just wanted to be an instrument in the Lord's hands. When it was our turn to go up, we walked up, and my heart started beating so hard I could barely breathe, but my mind was completely calm. It was an incredible experience. I felt such peace and joy as I sang. It was super awesome. Since then I've realized that it's not a big deal to talk in front of people. I've found it loads easier to get up in front of the class or zone and bear my testimony or say a prayer or teach a lesson - whatever it is. It's pretty sweet. I guess that'll come in handy with the whole 'giving tours' thing, eh?

Also, it's been a weird experience because everywhere we go, someone will turn to us and say, "Oh, were you the Sisters that sang on Sunday? You did such a great job!" It's kinda freaking me out. People don't usually notice me. So...when random girls in the bathroom or Elders in the lunchroom or hallway or computer lab say "Hey, nice job on Sunday" it's kinda different. (BTW, just a few minutes ago someone said it. XD It's been like... over 50 people.) I'm just glad that people were able to feel it. :)

Alright. So Wednesday afternoon we have tour class and such, and then we go to the referral center for a bit! Thursday we have more classes and referral center, and then another p-day on Friday. Then Saturday we're back to classes, and then Temple Square again Saturday night. Sunday is regular church, Monday is classes/referral center/prep to leave, and we leave Tuesday at 5 in the morning! I can't even believe it!

Something I re-learned today: I need to have my love for the Saviour written in my heart so that no one can take it away. That's also what I need to help the people of San Diego have. I need to help them have that relationship with their Saviour, so that no one can take that away from them!

Well, I'm about out of time. I love you all! Please take care of each other. I trust that the Lord is taking care of you. :) Keep reading together and praying together and loving each other.

--Hermana Harris

1 comment:

  1. Hi Sister Harris! Your Dad told me about your blog last night and it is great to hear how you are doing and feel your testimony! I'm excited for you to get out to the mission field! We will be praying for you! Love, Aunt Colene

    ReplyDelete