Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Sisters, Sisters! There were never such devoted sisters! Week 25



Dear Everyone,

So this week has been a week! The trolley tour last week was a BLAST. San Diego is gorgeous and it was fun to see more of it than just the Battalion and my area. XD Surprise, more to San Diego than just a few square miles.

Happy Birthday Hermana Harris!
Yesterday we had a special sisters meeting, so they said we could email on Wednesday instead. So here we are. The meeting started out with some sandwiches and brownies, and getting to know each other by table. Then we all got together in a room and discussed the challenges we were facing as missionaries. It was pretty sweet, but did run a little long. It was neat though to hear from the other missionaries. I learned several awesome insights. 

One of the most prominent in my mind is about humility. Humility isn't thinking less of yourself. Self-deprecating comments like 'oh I'm so ugly' or 'I'm terrible at this'! but rather, think less often about yourself. Don't think about yourself but instead think about others. That has been super helpful for me! 

Another cool insight someone shared was something they had learned from an interview with a member of the 70 that had come to our mission a month or so ago. She said in the interview she said she felt like she wasn't a missionary yet. He asked her what a missionary was supposed to feel like. She said, "I don't know." So he said, "Well how do you know you're not already a missionary?" It was perfect for me because I definitely feel like I don't know what I'm doing yet. I have no clue how to be a missionary. But... I am a missionary. So I just need to keep doing what I know I'm supposed to be doing! 



The third thing that I loved was when we were talking about comparing ourselves to others. We all do it all the time, and it's a serious problem. It's a wonderful thing to be able to notice positive attributes in others, but that doesn't mean we have to compare them to ourselves. Comparisons are prideful. It means you feel like you should be the best at everything. Anyway, we all have two choices. We can either be the best 'ourself' that we can be, or we can be the worst 'somebody else'. And it's a lot easier to be yourself than to be somebody else. It's happier that way, too. So there you go!



Everyone loves a District party!
I feel loved! Muchas Gracias!

F. came to church on Sunday and he loved it! He called us the day before and told us that he bought a new shirt and tie just for church, because, and I quote, "If I'm changing myself Spiritually I want to change physically too." Whaaaat? Who IS this guy? He always teaches us something about being a true follower of Christ. After church, he told us that the time flew by, and that it didn't feel like 3 hours at all. He was participating in all the classes and is basically the coolest person ever. I feel so blessed!!!




Lucky Birthday Socks?
Well, I love you all, and I hope you know that you're all amazing and you all are YOU for a reason. So don't try to be your neighbor, your friend, etc. Just be you, but be more Christ-like every day. :) Keep working hard! I love you!

--Hermana Harris
Nom Nom!

No comments:

Post a Comment