Thursday, February 13, 2014

Week 61 Kindness is a wonderful thing!

We had MTEs again (Missionary Training Exchanges). I loved MTEs and I loved having Sister Contreras with us. She was our trainer! So she came along with us all day. :) She's such a powerhouse missionary. Anyway, I feel better about missionary work in general this week because I finally started talking more openly to people. I read a quote once that says, "Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony. (Of course, that also has to be in harmony with the gospel as well...). (And it's supposedly Mahatma Gandhi that said it!)  But anyway, I know I need to talk to everyone, but I just have a really hard time actually opening my mouth. So I just did it anyway and it was easy and even though people look at us funny and say weird things, it's okay, and I feel happy, because I know I'm doing what God wants me to do and what I have been called here to do. :) Yay!

So there's a fireside tonight. I'm definitely excited about the fireside tonight. Clayton Christiansen, the one that wrote The Power of Every Day Missionaries. They had us read the Boston Case Study thing, about Sister Fulcher (Idk if you know what that is) and apparently he's going to talk about it. The case study was pretty sweet, so I'm excited to see how we can apply it to our branch. :) Exciting stuff!

I forgot to say - the other day Sister Amendola and I sang in Sacrament Meeting together. And gave talks as well. Haha. I was pretty nervous but I didn't die, and the song came out fine as well. :) Sister Affleck, one of the senior couples, talked to me the other day, and asked me if I felt like I had used my talents as much as I had wanted to on my mission. I realized that I've been wanting to sing more but I haven't. So I want to put something together with Sister Wells.

So on our way to email, we pulled off the freeway to take our exit and in front of us the cops were pulling this guy over, and then... well... the police all hopped out and one of them held up his hand to us to tell us to stop and they all pulled out their guns and came up and got the guy out of the car and he had his hands up and they patted him down and had him get on the ground and they handcuffed him and then another police guy came in and it was crazy!! Then they finally let us go past. It was intense. :) But super cool. :)

haha. Last Tuesday was crazy. While Sister Amendola got her haircut I got to talk to this really nice gentleman named J.. We talked about him being an attorney and his life and where he's traveled and his family and religion and the Mormons he knows. It was a very cool discussion and he was super nice and said he'd come by the Battalion. :) Also. The other sisters we share a car with on p-day were shopping at Target, and bought over $200 of food/clothes... and these members ran up before they could swipe their cards and paid for them! Oh man. So when they told us about that, we said, haha you should take us out to lunch! They were all over that, so we tried to decide where, and came to the conclusion of Panda. So we got our food, and sat down. Then someone walked up to us and said, "You were too fast! I was going to pay for you. So here, next time's on me!" and handed us all a gift card. Oh man. Twice in a row! It was crazy. Well, then that night we met an former member. He looked just like the captain from Firefly. It made me sad to see how sad he was. He's studied a lot of history and has decided there's no way God exists. There are so many scriptures that talk about the wisdom of men and how people will harden their hearts against the light... It's sad to meet those people in real life.

Thursday we had a member come out with us. She's SO awesome. :) As we were coming back, she said something like, "I think that before this life, we agreed/accepted to come to the earth right now (as in, during the hastening of the work) to do missionary work!" I think she's right. :)

Like I said, we had MTEs on Friday. For lunch we stopped by Subway. The lady who made my sandwich told me her sister is a member. She was really nice to us. That night we were able to stop by and visit an investigator that Sister Contreras had taught when she was in La Mesa, and she was pretty open and grateful for the visit. She even cried a little. It might be her time! We're going to see her again tonight. :)

On Saturday this lady named K came to the Battalion. She was dressed in a black Victorian dress, with a black hat, her hair in one of those hair net things with pearls on it, and she had gloves and a box/bag thing (like, how they used to use boxes instead of purses?) and her dress had all these pins all over it. I asked where she was from, and I heard, "Mawilyn." I thought it sounded Asian. So I asked her where that was, and she said, "On the east coast." "What brings you to Old Town?" "The miwitawy." Oh. I get it. *forehead slap* Well, that was embarrassing. Not only do I look like a moron, I also probably just made her feel uncomfortable. From the beginning, though, I felt a kinship with her. Probably because she looked like Nichole Grey (Jenkins). Well, I started the tour and then they ushered a couple from Taiwan on as well. Then in the next room three other people were added in. It ended up being a very unique group. Haha. She was pretty cool though. Very kind and respectful and sweet. Like I said, I felt a kinship with her. I love it when that happens.

Preach My Gospel class went super well! We started by sharing miracles we had see that week, and then asked them to share their missionary experiences/miracles. It was so cool! They've had some sweet ones so far. :) So proud of them! The Elders set up an obstacle course and we did the object lesson from District Meeting in sweetwater where they had the missionaries lead someone through the course but they can only talk to them for 10 seconds at a time, and then the 'investigator' has to walk on their own until the missionaries come back. Then you do it again, only this time there's a member who can hold on to the investigator and talk to them and guide them the whole time. :) It's super awesome and they loved it. Then we discussed a little what we learned and what we can do to be missionaries and invited them to bring a friend to the Fireside on Sunday. Sister Amendola's going to sing in it. It's a song called What Love is This by Kari Jobi. It's pretty cool.

Well. It's been a good week. The members are awesome and it's cool to see how planning and all that really works. It's awesome to be an instrument, to say something and have them completely relate to it and see how the scripture really spoke to them. It's the best. :) I love being a missionary! :)

--Hermana Harris

No comments:

Post a Comment