Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Teaching and Learning Episode 4


Hello World!

They should really not serve beans before devotionals. The Elders were farting like nothing else. One elder, 3 chairs down, farted so powerfully that I felt my chair vibrate. And Hna Amendola felt it too and she was on the far side of me. Also this one Elder fell asleep and then woke up suddenly and it scared him so he farted too and everyone in the row in front of us turned around and was like whaaat is going on. Anywyay...

Alright. So let's get down to business.

Our original progressing investigator, Jason, who we started over with, threw us a curveball this last meeting. We had our lesson about prayer all planned out, and when we go there, he told us that it wasn't our fault, but that he didn't want to meet with us anymore!! :O I literally just broke down and started crying right there. (My companion later told me she was freaking out because I couldn't speak cuz I was crying and she was like "I don't speak Spanish! Stop crying so you can talk to him! I can't do it!) 

He said his friends and family were talking to him and told him that we're false and that the gold plates are gone so there's no proof so it's all lies. He's a lawyer, so he says evidence is super important to him. I was crying so much it was super embarrassing. Anyway he eventually let us in and we talked to him about it and read him some scriptures and eventually got him to commit to coming to church. 
We've got a sweet lesson planned for next time. All sorts of great, uplifting scriptures and stuff, including this analogy. Even if gold plates were to be given as evidence in a court case, they'd have to bring in an expert witness to determine if the plates were legit or not, right? So just like that, he can hold the Book of Mormon in his hands. It's evidence just like plates would be. All he has to do is ask the ultimate expert witness to tell him if they're really the word of God or not. And who would know better than God himself that they're His words??

Anyway, if anyone has any suggestions feel free to dearelder them to me. :}

So Christmas was interesting. It was different than I expected. We watched It's a Wonderful Life at the end of the day, and that was kinda funny.... all the Elders were freaking out during the buffalo girls won'tcha come out tonight part. XD All I could think of was the 'How It Should Have Ended' for it. I did learn some things, though. I was impressed by his humility - he always did what was best for other people, not for himself, like with Mr. Gower, the Building and Loan, his little bro, etc. He just gave and gave and gave.

I saw Elder E....something.... again. It was kinda funny because I thought he was just walking past and then saw me, so I talked to him for a minute, and then said, "It was nice to see you" and then turned back around in line. Then I realized he was still standing there. So... he was in line behind me... and it was awkward. XD It was nice to see him though.

Our district is improving. Sorta. Slowly but ...slowly. We've started this new tutoring system. Our teachers came up with it. Basically he assigned half the class to be tutors and half to be tutored. I'm tutoring Elder Bosse. We went over the present, preterit, imperfect, conditional, and future tenses for the verb tener, and then I made up sentences in English and had him write them in Spanish. There were only 15 of them. Later Hermano Wald asked how tutoring went today, and Elder Bosse said it was horrible, his brain hurt, and every time he got off task I made him focus. XD Hermano Wald said "I love this idea more and more by the minute!"

There's a teacher who just helps out randomly named Hermano Jaen. He has a super super thick hispanic accent, and he likes to imitate Elder Bosse. His "australian" accent is the funniest thing ever. I love it. He sounds Asian. It's absolutely hilarious. I thought he was like 25 but apparently I'm older. His bday is May 12 1991!

Okay I love you all. Take care!!!!

--Hermana Harris

No comments:

Post a Comment